EYH Definition of Arabs
- EYH defines Arabs as individuals of any nationality who currently reside in an Arab country.
- Since EYH aims to enhance employment of Arab youth in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, Arab passport-holders living outside an Arab country are not considered.
What is “Talent”?
- Talent is a natural aptitude or skill that an individual has to perform something relatively well compared to his/her peers.
- Contrary to popular belief, all individuals are talented; they just need to be engaged and trained in order to discover what their talent is.
- An individual may become aware of his/her talent through continuous experiences in areas that naturally attract him/her.
- Once discovered, talent should be continuously fostered and developed in order to deliver the required performance and results.
Various definitions for “youth” exist, but for the purpose of this report, youth is defined as individuals between the ages of 16 and 25.
Millennials, born between 1980 and 2000, represent a large portion of Arab youth and have different work preferences than those of previous generations.
- EYH defines millennials as individuals born between 1980 and 2000 and who reached adulthood in the year 2000.
- Millennials, also known as Generation Y, follow Generation X which includes individuals born between 1960 and 1980.
- The number of millennials is increasing in every industry in the Middle East and a growing number of them currently occupy middle to senior management positions.
- Since millennials represent an increasing share of the workforce, they are no longer seen as the leaders of tomorrow but increasingly as the leaders of today.
- For an individual to be counted as employed, he/she should:
- Be above a specific age, in Arab region above the age of 16; and
- Work for pay, profit or family gain for a specified period of time (differs by country).
- Employment in a country or region is measured through an employement rate.
- For an individual to be counted as unemployed, he/she should:
- Be above a specific age, in Arab region above the age of 16.
- Be without continuous paid or unpaid work for a specified period of time (differs by country).
- Be actively seeking employment opportunities.
- Unemployment in a country or region is measured through an unemployement rate.
EYH Definition of Industry
- An industry can be defined as the aggregate of technically-aligned activities/organizations who produce similar goods and services.
- Examples of industries include the manufacturing industry, oil and gas industry, transportation industry, etc.
- This report focuses on Arab youth employment opportunities in the hospitality, technology and media industries.